Real Estate Information Archive


Displaying blog entries 1-3 of 3

2013 Tax Deductions You Don't Want To Miss

by The Hat Team

If you moved to your Montgomery AL home in 2013 now is the time to anticipate itemizing deductions on your tax return. Take yourself to a quiet corner of your home and begin to plan for tax time in April. Here’s a partial checklist of some often overlooked deductions:

taxesMortgage Points: Most homeowners know that mortgage interest is deductible, but often forget that points are, too?  Points are actually prepaid interest and may be deductible as mortgage interest if you itemize deductions on Form 1040, Schedule A.

Moving expenses: If you moved more than 50 miles for a new job, expenses such as movers, renting a truck, storing and insuring furniture, connecting/disconnecting utilities, and the cost of lodging while moving can be claimed as deductible expenses. Refer to IRS Pub. 521.

Job hunting costs: When looking for a position in the same line of work you held previously, you can deduct expenses associated with trying to land a new position including out-of-town lodging, transportation, employment agency fees, business cards, and resume printing costs.

The standard deduction:  If you turned 65 last year remember you are now eligible for a larger deduction.

Medicare insurance and long-term care premiums: Medical expenses over 10% of Adjusted Gross Income are deductible. Remember to include the cost of Medicare Parts B, C, D, and supplemental insurance.

State sales tax: You still have a choice between deducting state income taxes paid or state sales taxes paid. Since you will choose whichever gives you the largest deduction, keep in mind the purchase of unusually large items like home building materials.

U.S. Armed Forces members, especially those serving in combat zones, face some special tax situations and are entitled to special tax benefits. Click here for specific details. Moving expenses listed above also apply to the military.

Early withdrawal penalty:Did you cash in a CD last year? If you were charged an early withdrawal fee, you can deduct it directly on your 1040. Financial Planning and Management Expenses, Schedule A. Be sure the fee is itemized on the Form 1099 from your bank.

Investment Advice: The costs of investment newsletters, paid financial advisors, or other fees spent to manage your money can be deducted.

Remember the above is a partial checklist for your convenience. For more details concerning deductions related to moving to your Montgomery home refer to and/or consult a tax advisor.

Search all Montgomery AL Real Estate And Homes For Sale.

Sandra Nickel and the Hat Team have distinguished themselves as leaders in the Montgomery AL real estate market. Sandra assists buyers looking for Montgomery real estate for sale and aggressively markets Montgomery AL homes for sale. Sandra is also an expert in helping families avoid foreclosure through short sales and is committed to helping families in financial hardship find options. For more information you can visit

Interested in buying a bank-owned home? Get bank-owned listings alerts FREE!

You can reach Sandra by filling out the online contact form below or give her a call anytime.



Overall, Montgomery rental property provides more tax benefits than almost any other investment. The deductions listed below are the most common, but you are urged to consult with your accountant and/or the IRS regarding your personal situation.montgomery real estate

  • MORTGAGE INTEREST: This can be a fairly large deduction if you are carrying a mortgage on your rental property. Other interest deductions can be for loans for improving the property and interest on credit cards for goods or services used in a rental-related activity. (Note: It is much easier to maintain records if you keep your personal credit card(s) separate from a business credit card.)
  • DEPRECIATION: The actual cost of rental property is not fully deductible in the year in which it is purchased. Residential rental property must be depreciated over 27.5 years.
  • HOME OFFICE: If certain requirements are met, you may deduct your home office expenses from your taxable income. This deduction applies not only to space devoted to office work, but also to a workshop or any other home workspace you use for your rental business. A portion of a workshop used in connection with your Montgomery rental property may also be deducted.
  • REPAIRS: Usually the costs of repairs to rental property are fully deductible in the year in which they are incurred if they are ordinary, necessary, and reasonable in number. Examples of deductible repairs include repainting, fixing gutters, leaks, or floors, plastering, and replacing broken windows.
  • INSURANCE AND LOSSES: You can deduct the premiums you pay for almost any insurance for your Montgomery real estate. The list generally includes fire, theft, and flood for the property itself, as well as landlord liability insurance. (Note: If you have employees, you may also deduct their health and workers’ compensation insurance.) If you sustain losses due to fire, flood, or theft, you will most likely be able to deduct at least part of the loss, depending on the extent of damage and your insurance coverage.
  • ADVERTISING: Expenses related to advertising your rental are deductible.
  • TRAVEL: If it is necessary for you to travel a long distance for rental activity, you can typically deduct your airfare, hotel bills, meals, etc. Make sure that you claim only those costs directly related to your rental. The IRS scrutinizes these types of deductions carefully, so be sure to carefully document your expenses. If your travel is relatively close, you use your own vehicle, and your travel is related to your rental property, you can either take a standard mileage rate deduction or keep records for related vehicle expenses (gas, upkeep, repairs). To qualify for the standard mileage rate, you must use the standard mileage method the first year you use a car for your business activity. Moreover, you can’t use the standard mileage rate if you have claimed accelerated depreciation deductions in prior years, or have taken a Section 179 deduction for the vehicle.
  • LEGAL AND PROFESSIONAL SERVICES: Expenses paid to an attorney for an eviction, a property management company, tax advisors, employees and independent contractors, etc., are often deductible as they are considered part of operating costs.
  • EMPLOYEES AND INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS: Whenever you hire anyone to perform services for your Montgomery rental property, you may deduct their wages as a business expense. Examples include a resident manager, cleaning service, landscaper, remover of snow or trash, and the like.

Montgomery Real Estate Tax Deductions You Don't Want to Miss

by The Hat Team

Tax season is upon us and now is the time to start identifying house-related tax deductions and gathering the necessary documentation for them. The following information is current as of now, but I urge you to check with your accountant, visit the IRS website, or call the IRS assistance line at 800-829-1040 for verification and/or specifics.


  • tax timeMORTGAGE INTEREST: As you know, much of your mortgage payment goes toward paying off interest, especially in the early years. All this paid interest, on debts of up to $1 million on a joint return, is tax deductible. The amount you have paid is reported to you on a 1098 form sent by your lender and should be reported by you on line 10 of a Schedule A form (itemized deductions).
  • HOME EQUITY LOAN INTEREST: Interest paid on home equity loans (second mortgages, equity credit lines, and some refinancing) is fully deductible up to $100,000--regardless of how you use the proceeds. If you use some or all of the proceeds for home improvements, that amount can be added to the $100,000. Be sure to carefully document all improvement costs. Note: The limits mentioned apply only as long as all debt secured by the residence does not exceed the fair market value of your Montgomery real estate.
  • POINTS: The points you paid to the lender at closing are deductible for the year in which you paid them. This amount is also reported to you on the lender’s 1098 form. See publication # 936 from the IRS for more specific information, especially about points paid for refinancing.
  • PROPERTY TAXES: Montgomery real estate property taxes are fully deductible.
  • PRIVATE MORTGAGE INSURANCE: If your mortgage was taken out between 2007 and 2010 and your joint income is below $100,000, you can deduct any premiums you paid. Note: This is the last year that you can take this deduction.
  • HOME OFFICE: If you use a portion of your home exclusively for business purposes, there are certain costs you can deduct. Such expenses may include a percentage of your utilities, repairs, qualified insurance premiums, and even property taxes. The IRS has specific requirements for these deductions. Consult IRS publication #509.
  • SELLING YOUR HOME: In addition to being able to pocket as much as $500,000 tax free in profit if you file jointly and have lived in the piece of Montgomery real estate for two of the past five years, you can also deduct from your taxable capital gain many costs which you incurred while selling the property. Such costs usually include realtor commissions, legal and inspection fees, and title insurance. In addition, cosmetic repairs and improvements you made to the home within 90 days of the sale are also deductible.

TAX CREDITS: These are even more beneficial than deductions and fall into two categories for the 2010 tax year.

        1. HOMEBUYER TAX CREDIT: Buyers who purchased a house before May 2010 and qualified for a Homebuyer Tax Credit may claim that credit by mailing in (you cannot file electronically) your return with IRS Form 5405. Members of the military, foreign service, and intelligence communities have until April 30, 2011, to purchase a home and be eligible for this credit.

        2. HOME ENERGY TAX CREDIT: If you installed qualified energy-efficient systems, windows, and/or appliances in your home before December 31, 2010, you may be eligible for a tax credit of up to $1500. Again, you may not file electronically, and you must complete and attach IRS Form 5695 to your return.

FORGIVEN DEBT: Mortgage debt to buy a principal residence that is forgiven (as in a short sale, foreclosure, or debt restructuring) is no longer taxable in many cases. Restrictions apply for investors, equity lines, refinancing, etc. See IRS Publication 4681 for detailed information and use IRS Form 982 for filing.

Displaying blog entries 1-3 of 3




   cdpe    crsHat Lady on Zillow